Interesting Facts about Aluminum Can Recycling:
- The average person uses more than 25,000 aluminum cans in a lifetime.
- Recycling a single aluminum can saves enough energy to power a TV for three hours.
- It requires 95% less energy and water to recycle an aluminum can than it does to create an aluminum can from virgin materials.
- It is estimated that over the past twenty years, we’ve trashed more than 11 million tons of aluminum beverage cans worth over $12 billion on today’s market.
- Aluminum takes 200-500 years to fully degrade in a landfill.
- Recycled aluminum can be returned to store shelves in as little as 60 days.
- About 120,000 aluminum cans are recycled every minute nationwide.
- More aluminum goes into beverage cans than any other product.
- We use over 80 trillion aluminum soda cans every year.
- At one time, aluminum was more valuable than gold.
Additional recycling information is available on our municipal website or on the Northern Montgomery County Recycling Commission website (northmontcorecycle.com).
Recycling is Required
Franconia Township requires that residents, commercial establishments and non-residential establishments recycle all recyclable materials. Commonly recycled materials include:
- Paper – newspaper, office/copy paper, glossy paper, color paper, cardboard, junk mail, phone books, cereal/cracker boxes
- Plastic – bottles and jugs No. 1-7
- Glass – clear, green and brown containers
- Metal – aluminum, steel, tin, and bimetal cans and containers
You should check with your hauler for a complete list of acceptable recyclable materials.